Sunday, April 5, 2009

CrepeMaker - Irvine, CA 92618

I don't know how this place has a 4 star rating (at the time of this review). I suppose if you're just the casual person who impulsively says, "hey I want a crepe", then you'll think this is okay. But seriously? Don't subject yourself to that abuse. Ignorance is definitely not bliss. Good crepes are bliss. Sure, you can watch your crepe being made, but that's not always a good thing. The crepes were all overdone, the one I had was actually crunchy in some sections. I shared a "black, white, and red all over", which is a dessert crepe made with strawberries, nutella, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream, with my girlfriend and were both sorely disappointed. Starting with the bad, the strawberries were sour. Like puckering my lips, I'm a 1st grader going for a kiss sour. Yea, I had to add sugar to the crepe just to make it bearable. Second, the nutella is squirted on from a bottle, not spread on. This means that it doesn't hold the crepe together very well. But that's okay, CrepeMaker has found a way around that but burning the crepe to a crisp into its neatly folded triangle. Not that this neatly folded triangle tasted like anything though. Their batter is bland, not even plain. It tastes like nothing, and it's definitely not crepe batter. The ice cream was the best part of the crepe, but that's expected since it's not made here. If you want real crepes, make the trek to Jack and Jill's in Beverly Hills. Drive out there for fun, turn it into a day trip, do anything, just when you do you're not going to want to come back here.

Pros: - Good vanilla ice cream
Cons: - the crepes
Score: 1/5 stars

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been to crepemaker, it is great food.
The crepes are soggy at Beverly and eggy.
I like a lite crispy healthy crepe myself.
Best of all my kids love it!!

Unknown said...

Really, Chris? I've found the crepes at Jack and Jill's to be the best crepes in the Los Angeles area, and I've tried many, many crapes. As I said in my review, the crepes at CrepeMaker, at least when I went, were burnt and crunchy. Definitely not what I think a crepe should be like. But, if you like your crepes a little crispy, to each their own.

Thanks for reading my review and commenting. Your thoughts are appreciated.